Some important dates in the development of modern Litherland.

 

1680: BUILDING ON THE SITE OF PRESENT DAY DARWIN COTTAGE.

1718: ENCLOSURE AGREEMENT RE LITHERLAND MOSS.

1750: BEAKBANES TANNERY IN FIELD LANE.

1770: CANAL PROPOSED.

1774: CANAL CONSTRUCTION REACHES LITHERLAND.

1801: LITHERLAND POPULATION AT FIRST CENSUS IS 200.

1803: FIRST WHITE HOUSE PUB BUILT AT THE END OF SEFTON STREET JUST ACROSS THE CANAL FROM THE RED LION.

1813: JOHN GLADSTONE BEGINS BUILDING SEAFORTH HOUSE IN THE THEN LITHERLAND BY THE SHORE.

1814: JOHN GLADSTONE BEGINS ST THOMAS CHURCH IN WHAT IS NOW UNOFFICIALLY KNOWN AS SEAFOTH.

1818: PRESENT DAY DARWIN COTTAGE IS BUILT ON THE SITE OF THE OLDER BUILDING.

1820: ST THOMAS SCHOOL IN SEAFORH IS BUILT.

1824: BAINES DIRECTORY RECOGNISES SEAFORTH AS A SEPARATE DISTRICT.

1830: GLADSTONE FAMILY MOVE TO SCOTLAND.

1831: LITHERLAND POPULATION IS 789.

1838: UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPT TO TURNPIKE LITHERLAND ROADS.

1840: SEAFORTH HALL BUILT BY JAMES MUSPRATT.

1841: WILLIAM POTTER BEGINS TO BUILD A SEAFRONT MANSION.

1845: LITHERLAND LAND SOCIETY IS FORMED.

1846: ST JOSEPHS SCHOOL IS BUILT.

1848: WATERLOO TO SOUTHPORT RAILWAY BUILT.

1850: SEAFORTH RAILWAY STATION IS OPENED.

1851: LITHERLAND POPULATION IS 2252.

1860: FIRST HOUSES IN SEFTON TERRACE BUILT LATER TO BE RENAMED ALEXANDRA MOUNT.

1861: ST PHILIPS CHURCH FOUNDATION STONE IS LAID AND THE HOLY SEPULCHRE CHURCH BUILT AT FORD CEMETERY.

1863: FIRST RECORDED BRIDGE OVER THE CANAL AT THE SITE OF THE RED LION.

1864: ST PHILIPS CHURCH OPENED AND THE BUILDING OF STANLEY PARK BEGINS.

1867: ST PHILIPS SCHOOL STARTED AND THE CONVENT OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD MOVES TO FORD CEMETERY SITE.

1871: LITHERLAND POPULATION IS 4884.

1873: FIRST COUNCIL OFFICE FOR LITHERLAND, SEAFORTH HOUSE IS DERELICT.

1875: WESLYAN CHAPEL IN WILSONS LANE.

1880: FERNIE FORMS INTERNATIONAL MARINE-HYDRO COMPANY AT SEAFIELD HOUSE.

1881: LITHERLAND POPULATION IS 7204.

1882: SEAFORTH BARRACKS ARE BUILT.

1884: DIPTHERIA EPIDEMIC IN LITHERLAND AND DISTRICT, SEAFIELD HOUSE SOLD AND BECOMES A CONVENT, SEAFORTH BARRACKS OPENED.

1894: LITHERLAND URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL IS CREATED, WATERLOO AND SEAFORTH SEPARATE FROM LITHERLAND, SEAFORTH SANDS RAILWAY STATION IS OPENED.

1895: STEAM LAUNDRY OPENS IN SEFTON ROAD, DIAMOND MATCHWORKS OPENS.

1896: WALKERS TANNERY OPENED.

1900: FIRST METHODIST MISSION OPENS.

1901: LITHERLAND POPULATION IS 10592, ST ANDREWS CHURCH OPENS BRYANT AND MAY TAKE OVER DIAMOND MATCHWORKS.

1904: LITHERLAND HOUSE BECOMES THE COUNCIL OFFICES.

1905: SEAFORTH STATION BECOMES SEAFORTH AND LITHERLAND RAILWAY STATION, RED LION HOTEL RE-BUILT.

1906: LITHERLAND FIRE BRIGADE FORMED.

1910: ASSEMBLY ROOMS BUILDING IS BUILT AND USED FOR MISSIONS LIVE ENTERTAINMENT, AUCTIONS AND CINEMA .

1913: SUFFRAGETTES SET FIRE TO SEAFIELD HOUSE, CINEMA CLOSES AT THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS.

1914/1918: MUNITIONS MADE AT BROTHERTONS TAR WORKS, COMPLAINTS ABOUT FUMES FROM THE FACTORY.

1915: LUISITANIA RIOTS IN BOOTLE AND LITHERLAND.

1917: SURVEYOR DIES FROM FUMES IN SEWERS.

1918: FLOOD WATERS IN AKENSIDE.

1920: LEWIS FACTORY OPENED IN BEACH ROAD.

1924: LITHERLAND WAR MEMORIAL DEDICATED.

1925: SEAFORTH HALL DEMOLISHED.

1927: GLADSTONE DOCK OPENED.

1928: CENTRAL SCHOOL OPENED.

1929: VICTORIA ROAD EXTENDED AND RE-NAMED HATTON HILL ROAD.

1930: RICHMOND SAUSAGE FACTORY OPENED.

1933: AKENSIDE STREET UNDER 10 FEET OF FLOOD WATER.

1934: LIFT BRIDGE OPENED AND FOUNDATION STONE LAID FOR ENGLISH MARTYRS.

1935: ENGLISH MARTYRS OPENED.

1936: CRIDDLES ESTATE BUILT .

1939: REGAL CINEMA OPENS.

1940: NEW LITHERLAND TOWN HALL OPENED.

1941: BRYANT AND MAY FACTORY DESTROYED IN THE MAY BLITZ.

1944: NEW BRIDGE RECOMMENDED FOR CANAL CROSSING.

1946: FIRST LITHERLAND GALA.

1960: THE BEATLES PERFORM AT LITHERLAND TOWN HALL.

1961: LITHERLAND JEHOVAHS WITNESS FORMED.

1963: REGAL CINEMA NOW A BOWLING ALLEY, ESSOLDO CINEMA CLOSED.

1964: ST PAULS CHURCH CONCECRATED.

1970: RICHMOND SAUSAGE FACTORY CLOSED, WORK STARTS ON NEW ROAD TO THE DOCKS.

1972: VERY BIG FIRE AT BROTHERTONS TAR WORKS.

1974: LIFT BRIDGE DEMOLISHED AND LITHERLAND URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL IS DISBANDED.

1980: SAUSAGE FACTORY DEMOLISHED.

1999: OLD BOYS CENTRAL SCHOOL DEMOLISHED AFTER A FIRE.

2000: TANNERY ON THE SITE OF BEAKBANES AT THE TOP OF FIELD LANE DEMOLISHED, NEW HOUSING ESTATE TO BE BUILT ON THE SITE.

ALBERT HAWORTH .